Final blog before becoming victorious………

Due to the Easter holidays little work was done and due to this no blog was made. Fortunately though I spent the entire weekend before the competition building the robot and mounting the sensors. This is the finished product

20150421_114951
The chassis is made out of a thick perspects that was laser cut. My first issue, was having to mount the 2 motors onto the chassis. The main issues with this task was that the terminals for each motor were so tight that they might be touching, how to hold them down and what space would be left inside for the breadboard. To combat this I just soldered the connections and then carefully wrapped each connection in thin strips of insulation tape. I then drilled two holes of each side of the motors in the perspects and matching holes on a small sheet of metal. I then ran bolts through all the holes and a nut was tightened on the other side of the perspects. The motor anchor can be seen below

20150421_114143

I then left the full length on the bolts so the 9V battery can slid perfectly in between them and then the breadboard sits on top so as not to be touching the wheels.

20150421_114302
The next task was putting a front bumper in with a switch in it so when we make contact with another victim the switch activates causing our motors to go into beast mode. Mounting the motor was straight forward with a hole drilled out in the middle for the switch to stick through which was screwed to the perspects. This in turn caused a problem as the switch was intruding on the front colour sensors space. To counter this I tapped the switches terminals from exposure and pushed the colour sensor beside the switch as close as possible and facing it at an angle.

20150421_11432120150421_114341

Only having two wheels meant that the front bumper was always touching the ground meaning it’s unlikely that another robot will be able to get under it but just in case a lip was mounted in the back extremely tight to the ground

20150421_114353
Due to the tight space in between the bolts and the rear bumper, the rear colour sensor was constructed on copper sheet rather than using connector blocks.
I then bolted two separate sheets of aluminium onto the front and back for the body and carefully bent them until them met in the middle and bolted them together. The final sensor was to be the range finder. A hole was cut out of the front of the body and a bracket mounted inside to hold it down. This was quite trick as the space was limited causing me to mount it upside down.

20150421_114412
The bot was almost complete, only for the sides. Both sides were made out of the aluminium but were put on differently. One side was permanent and the other with a hinge to access the battery and breadboard.

All in all I’m very happy with the outcome but once again I really underestimated how easy problems arise from such simple tasks. But in saying that I really do think we have a fighting chance as our robot has a lot of good aspects going for it. It’s a brilliant design that can’t be flipped, excellent wheels and with Ronan (hardest worker in the group) working on code. The finishing touches should be done this evening with all the sensors being tested again before the big day. Just in case you missed the opening photo, I give you
SHES FAIRLY TIGHT TED
20150421_114951

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s